Saturday 15 October 2011

Bake Bread

I hadn't quite planned to do this task straight away. But my electricity company got me to do it.

Well, sort of. I was on the phone, sorting out my electricity bill, and Helpful Call Centre Lady pointed out to me that a couple of years ago I'd signed up to some thingy where I collect Argos points as I'm paying my bill. Since I'd then promptly forgotten all about it, the account had accumulated over 60 quid's worth of points.

So, what to spend those points on? I scanned the task list, my eyes settled on number 11...Get a breadmaker!

One trip to Argos later, and this here thingummy appeared in my kitchen.


Yeah, I know, it's probably cheating. When I said "bake bread" you were all probably expecting me to hand-grind the grain into flour, then construct my own wood-fired oven with which to bake the bread. Not go out and get something that looks like what would result if Delia Smith started building robots to take over the earth. Come to think of it, I may have had a dream about that happening.

But the truth is that this thing is just so much fun! You just pour in the ingredients...



...press a button, wait a couple of hours, and then out pops a loaf. There's even a point where it beeps at you to let you know that if you want to chuck anything extra into the breads (raisins, oats, whatever) that you should do it now.

On my third attempt, I decided to add some grated cheese when it beeped. The end result was this:



It looks a little spongey, but it tasted good.

The manual comes with all sorts of recipes for making raisin bread, or coffee bread, but they're mostly just variations on, "When you hear the beeps, chuck stuff in."

There could be endless possibilities here...

Vindaloo bread

Toothpaste bread

Monster Munch bread

No comments:

Post a Comment